It was gathered that about 19 people were confirmed dead and many other sustained various degree of injury after a suspected terror attack at the Manchester Arena in the course of an Ariana Grande pop live performance.
Read the latest updates:
At least 19 people killed and over 50 people sustained various degree of injury. Eye witnesses describe hearing a ‘great bang’, and some hospitals report many with shrapnel wounds.
Some reports also stated that device could have been a nail bomb. Also,Theresa May says police treating it as ‘appalling terrorist attack’
Family and friends have been turning to social media platform to track down their missing kids. video shows moment concert-goers flee in fear
Witnesses: ‘people were lying on the ground covered by pool of blood’ Many people in Manchester open their homes to victims. Train station at Manchester Victoria was evacuated.
How the events of the night unfolded:
On Monday, 6pm: Doors open located at Manchester Arena in the north of the city centre. US pop singer Ariana Grande is on the bill for a sell-out live performance at the 21,000-capacity venue. Fans, many of them teenagers (girls), excitedly share selfies as they wait for the show to start.
At 7.30pm: Show’s scheduled start time. Subsequent to a performance from support act BIA, an American rapper, Grande takes the stage.
At 10.30pm: Show’s scheduled came to an end. Thousands of fans start to file out of the arena’s 4 exits.
Suddenly, a “huge bomb-like bang” is heard at the arena. Eye witnesses narrate being knocked from their feet by an explosion and seeing dozens of people injured, perhaps dead, people along with children lying on the ground. Other people describe panic as live performance-goers run for exits.
At 10.35pm: Greater Manchester Police (GMP) was contacted as to reports of an explosion at Manchester Arena. Dozens of emergency vehicles stream into the vicinity.
At 10.55pm: Police officers urge people to stay far from the location as responders deal with a “serious incident”.
11.46pm: Police stated that there had been a number of confirmed victims.
On Tuesday, 1.10am: 19 people are confirmed dead and around 50 others sustained various degree of injury following the suspected explosion police say is being handled as a terrorist incident.
At 1.35am: A controlled explosion is also carried out on a suspicious item inside the Cathedral Gardens vicinity close to Manchester Arena. It was later confirmed to be abandoned clothing.
At 2.15am: Prime Minister Theresa May additionally says her mind are with the victims and families of those who are affected in “what is being treated by by the police as an appalling terrorist attack”.
At 3:04am: Chief Constable Ian Hopkins, Greater Manchester police, says: “My thoughts are very much with the ones who’ve been injured and lost their lives. We are currently treating this as a terrorist incident until we’ve got more information. This is certainly a very concerning time for every person.
I want to thank people for their help and ask them to remain vigilant.”