With the signing of a pact by the Federal Government of Nigeria and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) on Thursday, about seven former governors and ex-ministers may lose funds and assets in Dubai.
The funds traced to them, which are believed to have been looted, are to be frozen and repatriated to Nigeria.
About 22 former political leaders and businessmen are being investigated by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
The endorsement of the six agreements between the two countries delayed the seizure of the assets.
Under investigation are:
– Seven former governors, include one from the Southsouth, two from Northcentral, two from the Northeast, one from the Northwest, and one from the Southwest
– Seven ex-ministers,
– Four businessmen,
– A former chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP),
– A former Comptroller-General of the Nigerian Customs Service,
– A former presidential assistant indicted in the $2.1billion arms deals and
– A former First Lady who allegedly used fronts to acquire some choice properties.
Two of the assets have been traced to a former Minister of Petroleum Resources, Mrs. Diezani Alison-Madueke, who was implicated by the United States Department of Justice as a beneficiary of $1.5billion laundered cash.
Assets of some business associates of the ex-minister may also be attached, a source close to the investigation said.
Also under searchlight are about five luxury properties allegedly linked with a former official of the defunct Oceanic Bank.
The Chairman of the Senate Committee on Foreign and Domestic Debts, Senator Shehu Sani said over $200 billion had been hidden in UAE.
He said: “Over $200 billion is stashed away from Nigeria to Dubai alone. This may be the monies stolen since in the past 20 years. I am not talking about estates and bonds and other securities bought with Nigeria stolen money.
-From The Nationonline