Doctors were shocked to discover nine nails lodged inside a woman’s abdomen after she swallowed them with a cup of toilet cleaner in a failed suicide attempt.
The 20-year-old woman went to the hospital with severe stomach pain a day after the suicide attempt. X-rays revealed multiple nails in her stomach and upper abdomen and instead of removing the nails through surgery doctors gave her a laxative to help her poop them out.
After 11 days she had pooped out all of the nails without any complications and was discharged from the hospital. However, three weeks later she went back to the hospital complaining of vomiting and a lack of appetite. Doctors used an endoscopy – a small rubber tube with a camera that’s inserted down the throat – to see what was going on and they discovered she had pyloric stenosis, meaning the muscle in her stomach that holds food in before it is passed into the intestines had been damaged by the nails.
The muscle had become thick enough to block food from passing through the stomach, causing her to be sick every time she ate. Doctors had to remove the damaged part of the stomach and reattach it to the small intestine. She was discharged six days later and, at the time the case report was published, had not made any more suicide attempts.